Crowns for Patients in the Clearwater, FL, Area From the Caring Dentists at Florida Dental Centers
Crowns are tooth-shaped restorative coverings that are custom designed to fit over natural teeth. Once cemented in place, a dental crown will fully encase the visible portion of the treated tooth. If you need a crown, a dentist at Florida Dental Centers in Clearwater, Florida, will be pleased to explain your options and help you make the best choice to help keep your smile healthy and bright.
Dentists often recommend crowns for several purposes, such as:
- To strengthen a tooth that must hold a very large filling
- To anchor a dental bridge
- To prevent a weak tooth from breaking
- To restore a broken tooth
- To cover a dental implant
- To improve the appearance of a natural tooth that is discolored, chipped, or misshapen
Before placing a crown, a dentist will usually shape the tooth a bit to allow for a perfect fit. Alternatively, if a large area of the tooth is damaged, decayed, or missing, a dentist might build a foundation to help support the crown.
At Florida Dental Centers in Clearwater, FL, we have our own centralized crown and bridge lab, where we create the following types of crowns:
- Gold-cast crowns (the “gold” standard for back teeth)
- White porcelain crowns fused to a precious metal substructure (for added strength)
- White porcelain crowns fused to non-precious metal (a strong crown in a more affordable format)
- All-porcelain crowns (an aesthetically appealing option for front teeth)
In general, a crown can be expected to last approximately seven years, but in some cases they can last much longer. Sometimes, a crown will have to be removed so that a dentist can treat decay that develops in the underlying tooth. This is just one more reason to practice good oral hygiene, including regular brushing, flossing, checkups, and professional cleanings.
For a smile that is your crowning glory, contact Florida Dental Centers today. Since 1981, we have been proudly offering patients in the Clearwater, FL, community affordable dentistry services – including crowns, emergency dental care, x-rays, cleanings, teeth whitening, fillings, oral surgery, veneers, gum disease treatment, implants, root canals, bridges, dentures, and more – all with no hidden costs. For ease of payment, we accept most PPO insurance assignments, all major credit cards, and Care Credit.