Implant Supported Dentures in Clearwater, FL
Implant supported dentures, or overdentures, can be a more secure alternative to loose dentures for certain individuals who need to replace missing teeth. At Florida Dental Centers in Clearwater, Florida, we understand that many people don’t want to wear their conventional dentures simply because they are concerned about slippage. This is problematic because missing teeth can impair an individual’s ability to speak and chew, increase the burden on remaining teeth, cause jaw pain and headaches, and affect his or her appearance and self-confidence.
Instead of simply resting on top of the gums, implant supported overdentures are held securely in place by small titanium posts that are inserted into the jaw bone. The denture itself is modified so that it will firmly snap onto the implants. While this structure provides a high level of stability, the denture can be removed as needed for cleaning with a simple “snap.”
Implant supported dentures can provide many benefits. For instance, they can:
- Facilitate proper chewing to improve digestion and overall health
- Improve speech, which can allow an individual to be better heard and understood
- Reduce gum irritation and increase comfort
- Prevent resorptive jaw bone loss
- Eliminate the need for expensive and ineffective dental adhesives
- Increase confidence
- Allow for a more natural denture design that doesn’t completely cover the roof of the mouth, which can improve the ability to fully taste food and sense its temperature
In general, to plan a patient’s treatment, a dental professional at Florida Dental Centers in Clearwater, FL, will begin by taking a series of X-rays and then create a model of the patient’s existing teeth to determine the optimal implant position. In some cases, a bone or tissue graft may be recommended to create a proper site for the implants. After the implants are placed and the bone and gums have healed, the patient’s denture will be modified to fit over the implants.
If you’d like to discuss implant supported dentures with a dentist at Florida Dental Centers in Clearwater, FL, contact us to schedule an appointment.